Monday, December 19, 2011

The War on Christmas

Every year it seems that someone within the Mass Media Industry will rant and rave about someone disagreeing with something that involves celebrating the Christmas holiday.  They will proclaim that it's another "example of the war on Christmas!"  As a citizen, who is not a person of faith, I do not want a "War on Christmas" but I encourage a "reform of the winter holiday culture".  The first amendment to the Constitution states: "Congress shall pass no law regarding the establishment of, or the infringement of the free exercise of religion."  Churches have the right to have nativity scenes on their lawns to celebrate Christmas.  A town clerk, who is Christian, does not have the right to put up a nativity scene on the front lawn of City Hall.  Public places are to be kept neutral.  To put up a display of a religious nature in a public park or at a public building is to show support and by it's very presence "establishes" the governmental recognition of that faith.  What the owner of a store or restaurant plays for music in their own establishment is their own business.  It is a private building.  I encourage my fellow citizens to be more mindful of what they do.  There are many many songs that are labeled "Traditional Christmas Music" and during the month of December, I enjoy hearing "Jingle Bells" and "Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer".  I do not however, like being proselytized to.  Now I'm willing to bet that a lot of the music that is being played in Indian restaurants, are songs about Vishnu or Shiva, but as I don't understand Hindi, I don't care, and I enjoy the music while I am having my chicken curry and mango lassi.  However, songs such as "Hark the Herald Angels Sing" and "Little Drummer Boy" are distinctly Christian songs about Jesus.  If I wanted to hear these songs, I would go to a Christian church, this is where it is appropriate, not at Staples when I am trying to buy printer paper and ink cartridges.

3 comments:

  1. While I agree with most of this and I was raised Christian, there is a contradiction here. Staples is a private establishment and they have every right to play whatever music they want. You don't need to go there, in contrast to City Hall. Honestly though, nothing about anyone's holidays or religion really upsets or affects me in any way. If there was a minora or other token of a non-Christian religion in any establishment - government or otherwise, I would probably barely take notice. I personally think people can do what they want, where they want regarding their religion or holidays because that is what I would consider "freedom of religion".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Jason said. You said what a private business owners chooses to play as music is their own business. But at the end you said you find it inappropriate for Staples to play Christian orientated Christmas music. Personally, I think the definition of tolerance is not to be offended by any other persons non intrusive, non violent beliefs.If I am a die hard atheist who believes with every fiber of my being that God does not exist, Hark the Herald isn't going to hurt or offend me to listen to. Not even if I heard it in Town Hall. If I were a devout Christian, walking into town hall and hearing "Yimei HaChanukah" wouldn't offend me either. In fact, it makes me curious about Judaism which compels me to investigate, which causes me to learn and become understanding of a different belief system. Brings me closer to a different way to live.
    To me, tolerance isn't about not trying to offend anyone, which is impossible. That seems more like intolerance of diversity, which seems to contradict the premise of tolerance.
    The more we try to walk on eggshells to sanitize society so as not to bother or offend anyone, the further we drive each other apart because we are alienating and splintering ourselves into these arbitrary little micro-groups.
    To me, tolerance is about actually being tolerant and not just providing lip service to tolerance whilst practicing intolerance via cultural sterilization. It's about accepting that we believe different things and embracing the diversity as it is my belief that our differences are what actually bring us together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Consider my position "consumer feedback"

    ReplyDelete